Sunday, March 25, 2012

Reflections on this blog

This blog is helping to clarify my thoughts about the mourning process.  I am gratified that people are reading it.  Judaism teaches that mourning is not to be kept private, and this blog is a way of connecting my inner and outer worlds.  It is not a private journal.  In this way, the blog is like kaddish, the words of an individual expressed in the context of community.  If nothing else, these musings along with my daily kaddishes are reminders that my life will never be the same again.

After a loved one dies, Judaism will not let you pretend that nothing has happened.  Kaddish screams at you: you are a mourner!  You are not whole!  You are in pain!  Don't deny it!  Don't pretend!  Deal with it! But also, more softly: you will survive.  You are not alone.  God is still with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment