Monday, April 16, 2012

The Yizkor booklet

A few weeks ago, an item appeared in the shul newsletter that comes out each Shabbat reminding the congregation that Yizkor on the last day of Passover was approaching and requesting donations to the shul be made on the deceased's behalf.  The donation and the name of the deceased would appear in a booklet printed and distributed at the Yizkor service.  I didn't feel ready to have my mother's name appear.  Perhaps next year.  It's too soon, the memory of her too fresh, to have her name on a long list of those who have departed this life.  Maybe I still can't accept that she's gone.  And while I know the shul needs money, I'm ambivalent about memorializing her as part of a synagogue fund raising activity.  I'm not sure how I'll feel about this as time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment