Monday, February 20, 2012

Anti-depressants

I'll get more personal: I've started taking anti-depressant medication, also known as serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs). I actually started thinking about it before my mother died, as her final days neared.  I waited to see how I'd feel after she died.  In the first two months afterwards, I felt more sadness than depression.  But between my father's broken hip, other family issues (which are not appropriately shared here), work issues (likewise) and my mourning obligations, it's all felt like an overwhelming burden.  Thus the medication.  My only fear, unfounded says my therapist, is that I won't be able to feel the sadness that I should, given my loss, experience.  The need to function well, however, overrides all.  My mother I'm sure would approve of my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment